Read the following steps through first, then implement them. It is important to know that breathwork as outlined in the exercise below should be done gently, in a relaxed manner.
Never force the breath or hyperventilate. That will increase your stress.
- Sit comfortably, soften your gaze, or close your eyes if you like; elongate your spine, and relax your shoulders.
- Take a few natural breaths.
- Become aware of your neck, shoulders, chest, and sitting bones.
- While keeping your mouth closed and your lips sealed, inhale through the nostrils; and as you exhale quietly hum the sound of the letter M, sustaining this calming sound until you are finished exhaling. Focus on the vibration of the letter M as it ripples through your upper body, head, and torso.
- Repeat the sequence, inhaling and exhaling through the nose while humming the letter M.
- A longer exhalation promotes better relaxation.
- Practice the cycle for three to five minutes. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, stop.