Seeing is Beliving - Focus on Something Relaxing
Nothing rejuvenates you more than deep rest. It's important to be able to rest even while you are still awake. Visualization can help this happen. Visualization is very powerful in changing your thoughts, emotions, and feelings. Try doing the following visualization before going to sleep or at the midpoint in your day, if you want to release stress.
This exercise is easily done by recreating a beautiful place you’ve visited or by creating a place in your imagination that is serene, relaxing, and beautiful. As you sink into the place of relaxation, take note of its effect on your body and mind. Without actively engaging the mind, simply breathe into any areas of tension and release the tension with the exhalation.
- Visualize a beach . . . a beautiful and immaculate beach with soft, white, clean sand. It is located on a remote island dotted with tall palm trees swaying lightly in the breeze. The water is translucent and a brilliant shade of aquamarine.
- You hear and see seagulls flying overhead in a clear blue sky with a few very white, fluffy clouds on a brilliantly sunny day.
- You are lying on the beach, beneath the shade of an umbrella. You're perfectly comfortable, you feel the gentle breeze brushing against your skin, and you know you're about to doze off to sleep. You are in a very deep state of relaxation—a pre-dream state.
- You hear the sounds of the waves crashing into the beach. The sounds come in waves . . . loud and roaring, and then soft and silent.
- You feel the perfect amount of warmth from the sun on your body and the light tropical breeze continues to caress your skin. You feel the warmth and comfort of the sand around you, supporting you and calming you. You are completely safe. You're on your own island and have everything you need. You are relaxed and calm. The longer you lie on the beach, the deeper and deeper your relaxation becomes.
- As you breathe, you feel the warmth and comfort enter your body on the inhalation and you feel a deeper relaxation on the exhalation. You linger at the beach for as long as you’d like, knowing you can return any time you want.